Scrum in the Army

A log of my experiences in applying the principles of the Scrum development method to Army/DOD Contracting.

Monday, June 12, 2006

Why Scrum in the Army

Scrum, in my experience, is a powerful method of developing software in small, flexible groups. However, I am currently working as the software lead over fifteen developers on a communications project for the Army PEO-Missiles & Space. I am attempting to apply the principles of Scrum and agile methods in general to our project.

If you have never worked for DOD, let me tell you, that is not an easy goal.

Having the customer on-site is difficult, since "who is the customer" is a little vague. The user (or soldier in this case) is more specific, but often they are in Korea or Fort Bliss. Co-location with a Patriot battalion is a little difficult.

Now the three question daily Scrum is certainty doable, if we could get a task list solidified. With priorities changing daily, it is hard to get "the customer" to nail down what they want the system to do in the near term.

Also, the documentation we have to generate is almost a law from congress (and in some cases actually is). So I would like to get the computer to do as much of that as I can. If anyone has suggestions, I welcome them.

What I would like this blog to be is my lessons learned and (hopefully) some of your lessons learned. If you have worked Scrum in a DOD type setting, let me know how you did it. No use reinventing the horse.

Here we go...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home